Ten questions to spur meaningful conversation with your spouse – geared toward empty-nesters (and adpatable to any couple).
My blogging friend Paul Byerly, aka The Generous Husband, did a post a few weeks ago called “Ten Questions for Oldyweds” and challenged fellow CMBA (Christian Marriage Bloggers Association) members to do their own set of ten questions that would fuel meaningful conversations between spouses.
I know from my “New Reader Survey” that I’ve got a lot of long-time married folks who follow my blog. So I decided that I’d put forth 10 conversation starters for those at or near the “empty nest” stage of marriage, when the kids have all moved out and it’s just the two of you at home. Jenni and I have been mostly empty nest since our youngest daughter went to college four years ago, but with her graduation in a few months, it will be official.
So here are my question. Note: Most of these actually work for any stage of marriage!
1. What is one country you would like us to visit together, just you and me?
2. What’s the one thing you need most from me in this stage of our marriage? What would having me meet that need look like?
3. How would you like our sex life to change in the next few years?
4. What hopes or dreams have you put aside for the sake of putting the kids and family first that you would like to breath new life into?
5. Describe what a “perfect day” would be like, once we are able to retire.
6. What is your biggest concern over our future? Is there anything I can do to alleviate your fears?
7. Is there a new hobby you would like to pick up in the next few years?
8. Our bodies naturally change as we get older, so what can we do to keep the fires of sexual intimacy burning?
9. Name a favorite place we have visited that you would like to visit again. What made this a favorite?
10. What are some ways I can encourage you in this season?
It’s easy to let days and weeks (and even months) slip by without meaningful conversation with your spouse. If you don’t like my questions, here are links to other CMBA member posts with tons more great conversation starting questions. Pick a few and bring them on your next date night. (You do have date nights, right? Well, that’s another post.)
- Paul @The Generous Husband: Ten Questions For Oldlyweds
- Paul @The XY Code: Ten Questions to Get Him to Show Himself
- Lori @ The Generous Wife: 10 Questions for AnyTime-Weds
- J @ Hot, Holy & Humorous: 10 Questions to Ask about Your (Mature) Sex Life
- Debi @ The Romantic Vineyard: 10 Questions for Oldyweds About Romance
Intimacy is all about know each other deeply. Spend some time this week exploring some of these question and deepen your connection.